Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Irregular Citing.

I am currently waging war with the mind
and befriending it at the same time.
Spiritually, I am in a season of what some
would be considered a drought; self-produced
but a drought nonetheless.

My apathy and displaced searching has led
me to the point that I have reached today.
I can honestly say, my desire to seek and be
with God has not gone away, however many
obstacles have come about that I allow to
catch my attention long enough which enables
me to forget.

Well, let the war begin.
The first article comes from John Wesley
and it's about self-motivation.
"The mind distorts reality to confirm what it wants to believe. The more negatively you think, the more examples your mind will discover to confirm that belief. When you truly believe that you deserve success, your mind will generate ways to achieve it. The best way to bring success to yourself is to genuinely desire to create value for the rest of the world."

And though it may be off topic, I've always found
business models to be a way of personal growth
for myself. This second article, though rather
lengthy is still a GREAT read, and it pretty much
sums up what I believe. I attribute much of my
fear to my family somewhat, and it's not that they
don't believe in me or openly are out to destroy
my ideas or dreams. I'll tell you, rather I believe
it's their inability to integrate my thinking with
theirs; some may call this the lack of being
"open-minded."

An example being, I personally don't have much
of what it takes to stomach anything that would
be labeled cheesy, unprofessional, cheap, etc.
When I make these points public, it's like I'm crucified
because "there's nothing wrong with that..." and let
the comments begin. I never said there was anything
wrong with it, I just happen to think there is an
alternative that is better; what's so wrong with that?
I believe we are to be great, and if it's not great, then
you're either learning or you settled.

So, this is where my thinking comes into play I
suppose. It creates this invisible boundary for me
because, someone else just doesn't have the
willingness to understand my ideal though I bow
to their necessity of thinking the "well they tried"
mentality is justifiable.
"Velocity is your ability to zig and zag and zoom -- to make significant changes when significant changes are necessary. And you can have velocity without speed: Driving around in circles may make your speedometer look impressive, but it won't get you across the country very fast."
fastcompany.com

Last but not least, a wonderful speech at the
2005 Stanford Commencement from
Founder and CEO of Apple, Steve Jobs.
One of my modern day heroes.

No comments: