Monday, May 11, 2009

I Get It, But Do I Get It?

I've been blank in seeking after Christ, blank outwardly
to greater take in the gospel. Listening to The Village
podcast archives, "The Gospel Recognition" and "Gospel
Contextualization" have been pounding me with biblical
insight I've been missing for years as a christian. They
brought about some of those, "wow, that's me" moments.
I have to admit, as distasteful as "nominal christianity"
seems, which Chandler mentions quite a bit along with the
rest of the teaching staff, I think all too often I fall
in that category myself.
Upon realizing this, it was evident in my heart that a
change was necessary and one that I greatly desired. I
say this to boast in my weakness. My pride has caught the
best of me, and ruined the best of me since I was young;
I even went through a couple of years of counseling dealing
with anger, which turned into bitterness, then healed over
into shame.

What this short series of sermons brought to the surface
was remarkably accurate of who I see in the mirror. Someone
that fundamentally gets the gospel, but does not functionally
get the gospel. I have been learning to think WITH the bible
rather than about it. I know we are always learning and being
made holy as seeking christians, but sometimes I feel so far
behind the curve that I've got so much catching up to do.
I'm blessed to be surrounded and united with great people of
faith and wisdom that disciple me and direct me to prayer and
the word often; if it were not for them I think more often
than not I would be left to make decisions I simply cannot
make alone sometimes.

My love for his goodness, his holiness, his redemptive work on
the cross, continues to beat greater each day. It's my prayer
that we would grasp the gospel, functionally, that we would not
be caught up in spiritual superiority but humble servant-hood.
Mark 10: 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served,
but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
That
we would get our feet dirty as Jesus did, that we would live with
Reckless Abandon and go where he sends us no matter the cost.
Philippians 1: 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
I'm loving where God has placed my friend Tony Chavez, and what
God has laid upon he and his family's hearts and also how he is
allowing us to encourage each other. I believe big things are
on the near horizon, the Holy Spirit is moving monsterously, I
pray we proudly accept the call.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive
yourselves. Do what it says.

No comments: